Monday, 3 Aug 2020

TikTok down: Users fear end as app crashes amid US ban scare

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Tens of thousands of users reported issues using TikTok, including likes being reset to zero. Fans of the Chinese owned app were in a frenzy over whether it had been closed down suddenly. The crash followed US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo suggesting that the hugely popular app might be banned in the country amid tensions with China.

At 6pm BST, over 17,000 users reported outrage over issues with TikTok.

All video likes on the platform has reset to zero, with popular accounts stating they’ve lost thousands of likes.

TikTok moved quickly to reassure it’s users that the outage was temporary.

On Twitter, they said: “We’re aware that some users are experiencing app issues – working to quickly fix things, and we’ll share updates here!”

Issues with the app mainly affected the US and UK, but users around the world also said they had problems seeing likes.

The glitch caused hysteria in users, with some beliving that TikTok had suddenly been closed by governments.

One furious user wrote: “Is TikTok actually shutting down in the US and UK?

“If so f**k the government and f**k Boris.”

The app has threatened users with closure fears before, with 2018 seeing the official TikTok account tweet that it would shut down that year.

In January, the US Navy banned it’s forces from using the app, which led users to panic over the apps future.

The US Navy banned the app over cyber-security risks, as the app was alleged to send data to the Chinese Communist Party in Beijing.

Owners of the app ByteDance have strongly denied claims they sell data to the Chinese government on multiple occasions.

DON’T MISS

China FINALLY admits coronavirus failure as it announces crackdown [INSIGHT]
London panic as coronavirus R rate spikes in the capital – figure up [ANALYSIS]
Sadiq Khan squirms after his record as Mayor is savaged in on-air row [VIDEO]

The US Government recently stated that they are looking into banning the Chinese app over security concerns.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday that the White House is taking claims that TikTok collects American users data for Beijing “very seriously”.

He told Fox News: “With respect to Chinese apps on people’s cell phones, I can assure you the United States will get this one right.

“I don’t want to get out in front of the President, but it’s something we’re looking at.”

The official account has since begun fixing the issues for users, with normal service resumed for many.

The US Government potentially banning the app comes after India blocked 59 Chinese apps from their country.

Zhao Lijian, a spokesperson for China’s Foreign Ministry, told reporters on Tuesday that the government was “strongly concerned” about the ban.

He said that authorities were still “checking and verifying information on the situation,” and added that it was India’s responsibility to “uphold the legitimate rights of international investors.”

Source: Read Full Article