Wednesday, 21 Oct 2020

Mum tells how daughter loses leg after being run over by mower in accident

A mum has told how her daughter lost her leg in a horrific lawnmower accident last month.

Abigail Reardon, 3, was reversed over by the ride-on mowers in Franklin, Massachusetts in the US.

The horrific incident left the poor youngster with extensive damage to her left foot and leg.

She was also left needing an amputation from her mid-calf.

Her mum Sarah Reardon said she is speaking about the incident to warn other parents about the dangers of ride-on mowers.

“They’re obviously very dangerous machines,” she told  Boston 25 News .

“I’ve learned way more statistics than I wanted to about what happens to over 9000 children a year.”

The mum said her daughter is coping “far better than all the adults in her life”.

Ms Reardon said the accident happened quickly when she was out playing and the lawnmower was put into reverse and she was there.

And she said the driver of the ride-on mower has not been identified because what happened was an accident.

Abigail spent 16 days in hospital and has had undergone five surgeries .

She is also expected to undergo further surgeries.

Her mother said she had an “amazing, determined, resilient little spirit”.

Sarah wrote on a GoFundMe page: “Abby lost her left foot and leg up to the middle of her calf, endured plastic reconstructive surgery, has significant soft tissue injuries to recover from, and is fighting bacterial and fungal infections from her wounds."

Her mum also said her daughter will have to take medication to aid her recovery.

She said she “will also need many prosthetic leg fittings over the course of the next 15+ years, or until she’s done growing”.

Sarah explained “As the bones in her amputated leg grow, it’s likely the skin won’t stretch fast enough to keep up, so she’s expected to go through many procedures to ‘shorten the bone’ as she grows,” she said.

The mum said the horrific accident was also witnessed by Abigail’s older sister Alexa who will soon begin counselling to help her understand what happened.

Ms Reardon said she wanted to warn other parents about the dangers of ride-on mowers.

“They’re obviously very dangerous machines,” she said.

Ms Reardon also cited statistics from the American Academy of Paediatrics, which advises children be kept indoors while ride-on mowers are in use.

 “I’ve learned way more statistics than I wanted to about what happens to over 9000 children a year.”

A GoFundMe page has been set up to help Abigail’s family pay for medical costs which has raised more than $71,000 so far.

Source: Read Full Article