Tuesday, 1 Dec 2020

ISIS gunman posed with weapons on Instagram before Vienna terror attack

An ISIS terrorist posed with guns shortly before carrying out a murderous attack in Vienna, according to reports.

Kujtim Fejzulai, 20, posted a chilling snap on Instagram showing the weapons he apparently used to kill four victims and wound 14 others on Monday, it is claimed.

The homegrown terrorist was killed by police around nine minutes into the attack in the Austrian capital.

He had pledged allegiance to ISIS and its new leader Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurashi before the terror attack, MirrorOnline reports.

The Instagram account has since been taken offline.

The jihadist was jailed for 22 months in April last year for trying to join the terrorist organisation in Syria.

He was released early last December.

He was known to domestic intelligence agencies but police did not think he was capable of carrying out a terror attack in his native Austria, according to reports.

The terrorist carried an illegal AK-47 assault rifle, a handgun, a machete and wore a fake suicide belt as he killed his victims at random.

A massive operation involving 1,000 officers was launched to find potential accomplices, resulting in at least a dozen arrests.

The first shots were fired near the Stadttempel synagogue, which was closed, at about 8pm, with attacks taking place in six different locations.

Footage posted online showed a gunman, armed with an assault rifle, firing into a street and shouting.

  • Vienna terror attack: Death toll rises to 5 as special forces hunt 'Islamist terrorist'

Witnesses described seeing a gunman shooting into bars and cafes which were packed before a coronavirus lockdown and curfew.

Police killed the gunman after two men and two women were fatally shot, and at least 14 others were injured.

Seven people were fighting for their lives in hospital today.

Interior Minister Karl Nehammer described it as an "Islamist terrorist" incident, saying that one "heavily armed and dangerous" attacker was still believed to be at large.

The dead gunman was a 20-year-old dual citizen of Austria and North Macedonia who was a "radicalised" ISIS sympathiser, he added.

German tabloid Bild posted a photo of a bearded man, whose face was pixellated, posing with an AK-47, a handgun and a machete, claiming he was a suspect in the attack.

  • Vienna synagogue shooting: Four dead including attacker labelled 'Islamist terrorist'

The man is alleged to have posted several photos on Instagram and an oath of allegiance to ISIS and its new leader in the hours before the rampage.

Video material was seized during a raid at the suspect's apartment and police were investigating his potential connections.

He was convicted in April 2019 of membership of a terrorist organisation and sentenced to 22 months.

But he was released early under the Juvenile Court Act because he was a young adult, according to reports.

Mr Nehammer, the interior minister, urged people to stay off the streets as police hunted accomplices of the gunman or gunmen.

Witness Rabbi Schlomo Hofmeister said he could not be certain whether there was more than one shooter.

He said: "I saw one person. Later, I saw videos and I'm not sure it was the same one. I find it very difficult to identify someone in a fraction of a second.

"At that moment I also did not pay attention to what he looks like. I was trying to understand what's happening. I then moved away from the window and called the police."

Source: Read Full Article