Boris Johnson bans holidays abroad in new strict second lockdown rules
The Daily Star’s FREE newsletter is spectacular! Sign up today for the best stories straight to your inbox
Holidays abroad will be banned from Thursday under the conditions of Boris Johnson's new second lockdown.
The Prime Minister's announcement from Downing Street about plunging England into stricter coronavirus measures, will throw thousands of booked holidays into chaos.
Unless official advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) changes, holidaymakers are unlikely to be refunded by travel agents and airlines for their cancelled breaks.
Customers of package holidays however should see their cash returned if they are unable to travel, according to ABTA.
Previously this year some holiday firms have refused to refund customers because flights were still scheduled to leave for particular destinations.
Customers are advised to seek advice from their holiday firm or airline on whether travel will go ahead.
It is unclear whether travel corridors will continue to exist during the second lockdown period.
A two-week “circuit breaker” was suggested in mid-September by the government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) to cut the rising number of infections.
But a senior scientific adviser to the government said yesterday that would no longer be enough to reduce infections to a manageable level.
“It’s definitely too late to think that the two week circuit breaker on its own would sort us out . . . It almost certainly would need to go on for longer,” he said.
Don’t miss the Daily Mirror Pride of Britain Awards 2020, in partnership with TSB, on Sunday, 9pm, ITV.
- Boris Johnson
Source: Read Full Article